Quantcast
Skip to main content

Breaking: Massive Terrorist Attack Confirmed!

Great Mosque in Sousse

We are getting more details about a massive terrorist attack on a Tunisian border garrison yesterday in which armed men crossed over the border from Libya which left more than 50 people dead, including 35 of the attackers.

From The Washington Post:

There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but militants thought to be linked to the Islamic State carried out two major attacks last year in Tunisia targeting the country’s important tourism industry.

Tunisia’s president, Beji Caid Essebsi, called Monday’s strike “an unprecedented attack, planned and organized.”

“The majority of Tunisians are now in a state of war against barbarism,” he said from the capital, Tunis.

The assault followed skirmishes in the region last week between Tunisian forces and well-armed militiamen also thought to be based in Libya, where the Islamic State has expanded its presence amid political chaos that has divided the country into two rival zones.

Tunisian forces have been on elevated alert for possible cross-border incursions since a U.S. airstrike Feb. 19 targeting a suspected Islamic State training camp outside the Libyan town of Sabratha, near the Tunisian frontier.

Tunisia’s government tallied at least 53 deaths: 35 attackers, 11 members of Tunisia’s security forces and seven civilians, including a 12-year-old girl.

Tunisian officials closed border crossings hours after the predawn attack on the compound in Ben Guerdane, used by police and soldiers. In Paris, France’s Foreign Ministry identified the gunmen as “coming from Libyan territory.”

Please stay with Headline Politics for more details on this ongoing story!

Comments

Comments on “Breaking: Massive Terrorist Attack Confirmed!”

  1. George says:

    anything to do with libya, you can blame the president and the then sec of state hillary clinton.

Advertisement