Although Texas Senator Ted Cruz has suspended his 2016 White House bid, he has yet to announce his support for the presumptive Republican nominee, Donald J. Trump.
However, a new report suggests that if Cruz is unwilling to support Trump he may in fact restart his failed presidential campaign.
From NBC News:
Former presidential candidate Ted Cruz declined Tuesday to say that he will support Republican presumptive nominee Donald Trump, leaving open the possibility of restarting his own White House bid if he sees “a viable path to victory.”
Pressed by supporter Glenn Beck in an interview if he could consider jumping back into the 2016 race if he wins Tuesday’s nomination contest in Nebraska, Cruz said, “My assumption is that that will not happen.”
But, he added, “The reason we suspended the race last week was that with Indiana’s loss I didn’t see a viable path to victory. If that changes we will certainly respond accordingly.”
Asked if he believes he can support Trump, Cruz said voters should not rush to make a decision.
“This is a choice every voter is going to have to make and I would note it’s not a choice we as the voters have to make today,” he said.
Cruz exited the 2016 race last week after losing the primary contest in Indiana, a state his campaign had long painted as a must-win in order to stay the course.
A win in Nebraska’s primary would not change Cruz’s chances of attaining the majority of delegates required to secure the GOP nod. Cruz has already been mathematically eliminated from reaching that threshold, while Trump is poised to easily surpass it.
What are your thoughts on Cruz’s unwillingness to endorse Trump? Should he restart his campaign, possibly as a third party candidate? Share your thoughts below!
Check out The Political Insider’s 2016 Election Center to stay on top of the latest breaking Trump news!