Victims of the 2009 shooting at Fort Hood will finally be awarded Purple Hearts at a ceremony today. A total of 47 medals will be presented to victims and their families.
The terror attack conducted by Nidal Hasan was originally classified as workplace violence, meaning the victims could be denied medical benefits and deserving awards such as the Purple Heart.
14 people were killed (including an unborn child) as a result of the Fort Hood massacre, while 32 others were shot during the attack.
Dozens of survivors and relatives of soldiers who died in the 2009 Fort Hood shooting are finally getting the Purple Hearts they have felt were long overdue.
The ceremony Friday will take place at the sprawling Texas military post where an Army psychiatrist opened fire on dozens of unarmed soldiers and killed 13 people.
Gunman Nidal Hasan was convicted in 2013 and sentenced to death.
Military officials had denied Purple Hearts to victims because they classified the attack as workplace violence and not an act of terrorism. But Congress approved new eligibility criteria for the medals last year and forced the Defense Department to reconsider.
That would be the Republican-led Congress by the way.
Kimberly Munley, a former Fort Hood police sergeant and her partner were credited with stopping the attack, and repeatedly called out the Obama administration for ‘betraying’ the victims.
“Not to the least little bit have the victims been taken care of,” she said. “In fact they’ve been neglected.”
Now, at least in some manner, the victims of the shooting will be rightfully honored.
Sadly though, the struggle continues…
Via Fox News:
The Obama administration has finally acknowledged that those hurt and killed in the 2009 Fort Hood shootings were victims of terrorism — and not “workplace violence,” as it was previously described. But while formal recognition of that is set for Friday, when victims will receive the Purple Heart, it may only be symbolic.
Fox News has learned as part of its ongoing investigation of the 2009 terrorist attack that the military, at least in one case, is still denying benefits for injuries sustained in the attack.
“I think it’s almost unheard of for someone to receive the Purple Heart but not have their injuries deemed combat-related,” Shawn Manning, who was seriously injured in the 2009 attack, told Fox News. “I know that was not what Congress intended to have happen, but it is what currently the Army has determined is going to happen.”
Manning was shot six times by Hasan that day.
Are you outraged that Purple Heart recipients and victims of the Fort Hood shooting are still not receiving benefits? Tell us below.