Just weeks after the horrific terrorist attack in Nice, France, ISIS has struck again, this time slaughtering an 84-year old Catholic priest, as two men shouted “Allahu Akbar.”
The attack happened near the Normandy city of Rouen, and was carried out by two men inspired by the terrorist group.
From Fox News:
The terrorists were later shot and killed by police. ISIS’ Amaq news agency said the France attack was carried out by two Islamic State “soldiers,” Reuters reported.
“[ISIS] has declared war on us,” French President Francois Hollande said Tuesday. “We must fight this war by all means, while respecting the rule of law — what makes us a democracy.”
The priest, identified by Sky News as Jacques Hamel, was dead at the scene, and another person, possibly a nun, was clinging to life, Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet said.
The attackers were not immediately identified. Police said the pair entered through the back door of the church and took the priest, two nuns and two parishioners hostage during morning Mass.
Hollande and Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve were heading to the northwestern town of Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray where the hostage-taking took place, Brandet said.
Brandet, speaking later on BFM TV, said the RAID special intervention force was searching the church and its perimeter for possible explosives. Terrorism investigators had been summoned, he said.
France is currently on high alert after an attack in Nice on Bastille Day — July 14 — that killed 84 people and a string of deadly attacks last year claimed by ISIS that killed 147 victims.
Please stay with Headline Politics for all the latest on this breaking news situation!