Several A-list stars made a statement on the red carpet at the Golden Globes in support of free speech in response to the terrorist attacks in France last Wednesday. They sported signs which said Je Suis Charlie, meaning I am Charlie.
The headquarters of French satirical cartoon magazine, Charlie Hebdo, was targeted by extremists in a terrorist attack after publishing cartoons which criticized and made fun of Islam. They killed 14 and wounded 11.
Here are 5 times celebrities showed support for Charlie Hebdo and Free Speech at the Golden Globes:
1. George Clooney and his wife Amal wore Je Suis Charlie buttons.
— HELLO! (@hellomag) January 12, 2015
George Clooney also said this about Charlie Hebdo in his acceptance speech:
“We will not walk in fear. We won’t do it. Je Suis Charlie.”
2. Jared Leto gave a shout out to those marching in solidarity in France, proclaiming “Je Suis Charlie.”
— Ines & Elah (@VoteFor30STMARS) January 12, 2015
3. Kathy Bates sported a Je Suis Charlie phone cover.
— AFP Entertainment (@AFPceleb) January 12, 2015
4. Helen Mirren had a Je Suis Charlie sign and a pen pinned to her dress.
— Hollywood Reporter (@THR) January 12, 2015
5. Joshua Jackson and Diane Kruger also held a sign on the red carpet.
— MTV (@MTV) January 12, 2015
What do you think of this movement to stand up for Free Speech and against terrorism?