I love listening to Christmas music, and I love the season. But remember, as fun as it is, keep in mind the true meaning of why we have this holiday. No matter what is going on, these songs always put me in a happy mood during the holidays!
5. Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth (Bing Crosby/David Bowie) – This is my favorite Christmas song of all time. I knew the song was recorded after an hour of rehearsal although until I saw the second clip I did not know that Peace on Earth was remade in the same time frame. That is amazing! These were two of the greatest performers of their eras, and I love it.
4. The Grinch Song (Thurl Ravenscroft also voice of Tony the Tiger) – These lyrics are awesome. Very articulated about how vile a person is. I’ve often thought of borrowing some of them to write a hate letter to an ex. The movie, however, is one of the only Christmas movies I can tolerate watching year after year. If the Grinch can change (which he does), anyone can change. Let your heart grow 3 sizes in a day. It’s a good idea to watch the movie annually to keep those grinchy feelings away. Peace and love to all of you.
3. This Christmas (The Whispers) – In many ways The Whispers were major survivors of another age: vocal group soul balladeers from the pre-hip-hop age who had managed to become important game changers in the soul vocal group genre in their many decades together. This soft blend relaxes your mind and even brings back memories of former days of Christmas and family. This is such a treat to listen to over and over again.
2. Silent Night (The Temptations) – This is by far the greatest rendition of “Silent Night” done by anyone. The Temptations are in a class by themselves and cannot be duplicated. I appreciate and love this song now that I am older and have a family of my own. My daughter heard this song at the age of 4 and wouldn’t listen to anything else. The vocal arrangement is incredible.
1. It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year (Andy Williams) – Andy Williams has become synonymous with Christmas music while his Top 40 non-holiday music has become almost forgotten to listeners of the radio and the Music Choice TV channels. Andy has a great Christmas voice; it reminds me of a happy Christmas feeling with my Grandma and family. I love Christmas and all of its celebration. I am proud to celebrate the Savior’s birth.
I hope everyone can spend Christmas with their loved ones! You only realize how much you love and need them when you can’t be with them. Merry Christmas to my family at the other end of the world.
Share this story if you love these classic Christmas songs and make sure to share them with friends and family.