There have been worries that the Rio Olympics were going to be unsafe. From sewage in the water, to Rio’s horrible crime problem. But so far, the event has been relatively conflict free.
Until last night when one of our own was robbed!
Following conflicting reports — including the IOC denying any incident took place — Lochte himself confirmed with NBC’s Billy Bush that he and “three other swimmers” were robbed at gunpoint.
Lochte’s mom had earlier told other news organizations that the robbery happened at a party.
“I think they’re all shaken up. There were a few of them,” Ileana Lochte told USA Today. “No, they were just, they just took their wallets and basically that was it.”
USA Today and Fox Sports Australia both reported that the 32-year-old Lochte was robbed early Sunday while socializing the night after Olympic swimming events ended. The IOC spokesman denied the claim at first before hedging, acknowledging he didn’t directly know the specifics of the situation.
Lochte swam in two events at the Rio Games, winning gold in the 4×200-meter freestyle relay.
This is unacceptable. And why did the IOC try to cover it up? Hopefully we’ll get answers on that soon.
Are the Olympics safe? Share your thoughts!